Team Habana is designed to develop community leaders in London and Cape Town, with the aim of increasing their confidence and competence in a range of leadership behaviours so they can lead their own projects in their communities.
Team Habana is structured and delivered over a year in the following phases:
- Selection – referral and application process specifically for young people facing disadvantage.
- Training – a one week leadership residential with workshops, personal development planning, physical activities and masterclasses from Bryan Habana.
- Give back – young people commit 100 hours of ‘give back’ time in their communities on issues of social action, community action or youth action.
- Qualifications – young people gain recognised sports and leadership qualifications.
- Graduation – celebration of achievements and progression of young people’s leadership journeys.Team Habana began in London in November 2016, being delivered by UK based charity partner The Change Foundation. On Monday 19 December the Team Habana leaders took part in a unique and bespoke leadership residential to help them develop their potential and take advice from Bryan Habana himself. The residential will help young people develop relationships, build skills and plan their ‘give back’ hours to provide positive change in their communities in the following ways:
Social action – tackling social issues in the community through campaigns and raising awareness.
Community action – uniting people in the community from different backgrounds.
Youth action – inspiring young at-risk young people in the local community.
Team Habana Cape Town is due to launch in 2017.
The Bryan Habana Foundation is a new foundation created by Rugby World Cup winning Springbok legend Bryan Habana.
As a child, Bryan was inspired by the Springbok team of 1995 which united a nation through their inspirational journey to becoming Rugby World Cup Champions. In 2007, as part of a Rugby World Cup winning team, he saw first-hand how sport had the ability to inspire, give hope and unite people from different walks of life. Bryan plans to use his Foundation as a vehicle to channel the values and experiences he has learnt through playing professional sport to inspire the next generation of young people.
‘I understood the importance of the Springboks… The team that united a nation through sport. They are a symbol of change. I experienced first-hand how big an impact they had when I was inspired to take up of the wonderful game of rugby.’ – Bryan Habana